Cat and Dog Nutrition Counseling in Adrian, MI
Raising a dog or cat is similar to raising a child in that they need a healthy, balanced diet to ensure a long, healthy life. At Kelly Veterinary Clinic, our veterinarians have in-depth knowledge about cat and dog nutrition and continue to learn new things about what pets need to thrive. Diet is one of the first and most important things you’ll need to discuss with your veterinarian in order to give your pet the best start.
Need dietary recommendations for your pet?
Choosing the Right Diet for Your Dog or Cat
Today’s pet foods are as diverse as dog breeds, and are categorized not only according to age group, but overall condition, too. This means there are specialized diets for pets with diabetes, urinary tract issues, allergies, heart disease, and more. Because there are so many different foods out there, choosing the right one can be overwhelming at best. Our team can make it much easier for you! We’ll be able to assess your pet and point you in the right direction based on what we know about their health and needs.
How to Prevent Unhealthy Eating Habits
We love our pets, and one of the most common ways to show this is to indulge them with treats and table handouts. Unfortunately, this can lead to bad habits and your pet will likely gain weight!
Here are some tips to prevent bad habits:
- Don’t feed your pet a steady stream of treats throughout the day.
- Avoid giving your pet table scraps; in fact, you should discourage begging altogether.
- Feed your pet their meals at the same time each day.
- Measure out your pet’s meals based on what your veterinarian recommends.
- Do not leave food sitting out all day (if you have a cat).
- Try using a food puzzle to make mealtime more engaging for your pet while also preventing them from eating too much too quickly.
- When in doubt, ask your veterinarian for suggestions!